Monday, February 20th, 2017

Shiloh Farms Bakery

For at least thirty years, I have been sustained, body and soul, by two robust loaves of Shiloh Farms Sprouted Seven Grain Bread every week. Whether buttered toast for breakfast or peanut butter sandwich for lunch, that bread always convinced me that I was being truly nourished. No wimpy store bread for me, thank you.

If you doubt the robust part, consider that each slice weighs 1-1/2 Oz and provides 90 calories. Without butter. Two slices toasted with a glass of milk and a glass of juice was more than enough to kick-start my day.

Well, all good things must come to an end, and when I phoned in my last order, I was told that they were closing down but that I could order frozen loaves from a store in New York.

Bread wrapper

Here is part of the Shiloh farms story:

The Shiloh Farms Bakery was originally established by the Shiloh Community in upstate New York in the 1940’s. We have been making the finest all-natural sprouted breads and baked goods for over fifty years.

Our location here in the center of historic Sulphur Springs, Arkansas dates from 1968. At that time we moved lock, stock, and barrel to this peaceful 117 acre site amid the pastoral beauty of the Ozarks in Northwest Arkansas. Since then the Bakery has focused on natural, certified organic and chemical-free foods – natural sweeteners and oils, NO preservatives, NO synthetics.

The adjacent City Park, once part of the original property, contains four natural springs – yellow, white and black sulphur, plus a rare lithium spring. Attraction to the healing properties of these waters, plus the lure of local area caves, led to the town site’s layout in 1885 and its designation as the end-of-the-line terminal for the Kansas City Southern Railroad. With the first train arriving in 1891, the railroad soon developed more than a dozen local resort hotels, including the Livingston and Kihlberg which opened in 1909 and later sustained two major fires.

Prior to Shiloh, the original site and hotels were occupied successively by the John Brown Military Academy from 1924 to 1951, then by the Wycliff Bible Translators and Missionary Trainers. Shiloh expanded the complex with the additions of our commercial bakery, swimming pool, large educational-multi-purpose building, a number of separate individual family living quarters, and various other improvements.

Our Shiloh complex retains three nostalgic, restored turn-of-the-century buildings – the 30 room Livingston and the 100 room (originally) grand Kihlberg resort hotel, plus the 19 room Shiloh House Parsonage, which is recorded in the National Registry of historic landmarks.

So it’s the end of an era for the Shiloh Bakery folk and their customers.

Dave, which he is off to the HyVee bakery department to look for a substitute.

Comments

16 Responses to “Shiloh Farms Bakery”
  1. Hank Murray says:

If you mean look in the frozen food section of the health foods department over on the right hand side you’re on the right track. Possibly an acceptable substitute there.

2. admin says:

Thanks for the tip, Hank. My first trip I couldn’t make it past the sweet-smelling bakery. I found a hefty “9-grain” loaf that I am trying out.

3. Larry Ayers says:

Dad, you really ought to buy a bread machine. They are foolproof and give you the freshest and tastiest bread imaginable. Little cleanup too!

When I was staying overnight a few weeks ago with Leslie and John, Leslie showed me the bread-machine premixes she uses. They make the process even easier.

4. admin says:

I’ve thought about doing that. I’ll consider myself nudged in that direction and maybe consult with Leslie.

Fool-proof, eh?

For Hank: I found that going from bakery to health foods added about a dollar a loaf, but I’m giving Ezekial multigrain a try.

5. Tom says:

Dave, we have been using Orowheat’s “Whole Grain and Flax” bread and unjoy it. Has Omega-3 which is supposed to be good for you. Good toasted as well as for PB&J sandwiches!

6. admin says:

Thanks for the bread tip Tom. Do remember Pepperidge Farm from your St. Louis days a century ago? They make a good “whole grain” bread, but the search is still on. I’ll keep my eye open for the Orowheat stuff. I might also unjoy it.

7. I want to connect with the company that makes Shiloh Farms raisen nut granola. This is the best and healthiest cereal I ever had. I used to get it at a health food store in Buffalo, NY some years ago. Now I live in Tampa, Florida. The picture on your website shows the old familiar package design for the granola. Do you still make it and if so, are there stores in Tampa that carry it? If not, can I mail-order it from you?

Thank you for any information you can give me.

Joyce, all I know is what I got when I Googled “Shiloh Farm.” You might try looking at http://www.shilohfarms.net/. There is contact information on that site.

Good luck on finding what you want.

9. Pam says:

Dave,
    I am feeling your loss also.. I enjoyed the bread for 30+ years as well.
    I would order cases of the bread and freeze them. I am feeling hopeful though.
    There is a new Shiloh Farms web site up. http://www.shilohfarms.net/productsub.php?cat=1

Hopefully they soon will have some links where we can buy this bread again. I can’t even find it in health food stores where I live.

I have the site bookmarked now, Pam. Thanks. They say “check back later” for a dealer nearby, but it seems it is now mainly mid-Atlantic regional. Too far to ship it in, but I may try one of these days just for old times sake.

11. Joelle says:

My family was hooked on this bread for years (SE PA). My daughter moved to SD and was able to have it shipped from Arkansas, along with their 5-star blue ribbon prize-winning fruit spreads. She, too was told that Garden Way in New Holland PA would be shipping the bread again, but alas, no more jam. I have tried many similar hand crafted breads, but none are as good. They are all either too dry, too squishy, or too sweet. Maybe they’ll sell the recipe????

Mine was also shipped from Arkansas, and usually arrived still frozen. The fruit spreads sound wonderful. Never tried them (male tunnel vision).

As soon as they are set up to mail-order their products, I plan to give it a try. Thanks for the encouragement.

13. johnny bone says:

Hello:

Gentelman I have problems as we all will,I guess.

of coarse we don`t want them.
    I take several meds and that causes lower tract problems,and
    my doctors over the years had me try a lot of stuff,nothing worked.
    After one mouth I`m doing great,really there was a Big differenc
    after only a few days.

14. johnny bone says:

ME again The products I was talkin about was
    SHILOH FARMS COARSE BRAN

Tks Johnny Bone

15. health foods that are organice and have natural source should be the stuff that we should take *:’

16. Lucas says:

My crazy grandfather used to live at “Shiloh” and make this horse feed. He was one of the founding members and supposedly left his retirement savings to the cult. Sending us boxes of these inedible loaves and the occasional talk about reincarnation, Jesus and comets and whatnot were his only contributions to my childhood. He went of natural causes, but I assume he was one step away from mass ritual suicide.
    2 out of 10. Wouldn’t order again.