Friday, May 26th, 2017

Early bummer color

For years I have observed a special two-season calendar with my summer starting with major league baseball spring training and ending with the last pitch of the World Series. My second season is “bummer,” which started a week ago on October 29 and will last for another five months or so. (Sigh!)
I usually try to post photos of a spring and fall walk. Below are a few photos from recent walks.

This year’s World Series was special for me because I started listening to Cardinal broadcasts and seeing a few games when I lived in St, Louis County my last two years of high school (Go Statesmen!). I remember listening (no TV then) to Harry Carey and Gabby Street delivering the play-by-play. With an assist from my imagination, it was better than being in the stands and certainly better than watching on TV. A week ago Friday marked the Card’s 11th World Series championship, almost all of them occurring during my lifetime. I have a strong sense that we have just witnessed the end of the Cardinal Nation era. In 20 years or so I will come back and haunt you to find out.

But I digress.

Front Yard
There are four or so Red Maples around our condominium that have the odd habit of waiting until most of the other trees’ leaves have long since dropped and then changing color overnight and dropping theirs. I was lucky to catch them in the act this fall. A day or two before this picture was taken, the leaves looked like mid-summer. Today, the leaves are falling in a steady sprinkle, and a week from now they will be bare like the rest of the trees in the neighborhood.

Giant leaf
There are a couple of old Sycamore trees in Madison Park just around the corner that have been shedding their giant leaves for the past week or so. I always try to catch their dying breath as they lay on the sidewalk. How those Oak leaves managed to sneak into the frame I do not know. They didn’t ask to share the limelight.

Caught in the act
Here I caught our Red Maple in the very act of turning color. Gotta be fast to do this, I tell you.

Last Rose
Most honest, law-abiding roses have long since quit blooming, but a few years ago a new hardy rose called Knockout Rose started showing up around town. That is probably a story waiting to be told, but on my walk route there is this one taken only a couple of days ago. The very next day the bush had been trimmed and put down for the winter.

Scarecrow
You notice that there isn’t a crow in sight.

Cemetery
If you didn’t think that this fall (early bummer) was not as colorful as usual, I think you are right. A couple of the larger trees didn’t survive June’s wind storm, so the view is sparser than before. I hope they got a decent burial and an appropriate headstone. By the way, some of these stones date back to the very early 1800s.

The only other thing I might add, for all of you who didn’t ask, is that for the first time I edited these photos using PixInsight, the newish program I have been using for processing astronomical images. (Do I hear you saying, “So what?”)?

Dave, considering hibernation until spring.

Comments

7 Responses to “Early bummer color”
  1. Bro Tom says:

Yes, the Cardinal era does seem to be over. And you have every right to hibernate so go for it! Hibernate away, at least till the bass season starts.
    Bro Tom

2. Larry Ayers says:

Nice photo series, Dad! I’m fond of those big and ungainly sycamore leaves too.

Harry Carey! I’m not a baseball fan, but I do have vivid memories of Carey’s voice all through my childhood as he announced Cards games. You couldn’t mistake him for anyone else.

The scene: the Ayers family on the beach at Long Island, a mile or so upstream from Quincy, circa 1968. Mom is engrossed in a novel, sitting in a folding chaise lounge with a cigarette going and a beer at her side. You? Perhaps igniting some charcoal in a three-legged grill? The three sisters are playing at the edge of the water, having been sternly warned to not go out to far. Harry Carey’s voice from a tinny transistor radio was the audio backdrop.

As for me, I was perched at the top of a bluff on the other side of the island, tossing M-80s (obtained from Albert V.) immediately in front of passing boats. The powerful fireworks would explode underwater if they were timed right, raising a fountain of water thirty feet in the air!

Suburban family at play!

Hey Tom, I refuse to start my hibernation until I have arranged for someone to wake me up. Are you volunteering?

Your family at play scene is pretty close to the mark, except it was more likely Hogback Island.

4. tom says:

I hereby volunteer!

M-80;s are why I am wearing hearing aids now…plus a minor sledding accident in PA!
    Leaves just starting to turn here,

5. Linda says:

Great pictures… those trees in your front yard are huge… when did you move in there? They’ve grown so much.
    Larry, my memory is that we were on Hogback Island on the Mississippi having beached after water skiiing, drawing double takes from other boaters when dad got that cumbersome houseboat to plane. Dad and his tinny transister radio were on the top of the houseboat, beer in hand. I was exploring the island with you, I guess since you were the weird brother, the adventure may have included M-80s. Leslie was pouting, wanting to go home and dance with her friends in our backyard. Laura? Always the content child.

6. Leslie says:

I can’t help but smile enjoying the fall photos and the memories…I too have fond memories of the summer transistor radio amd Harry Carey, a constant presence in our lives. Larry, with 9 years between us, I had no idea about you and the fireworks. Funny… And Linda, I think your memory is accurate….who knew those mandatory houseboat days (The River Runt) would in the end become some of my clearest and fondest memories of growing up in Quincy!

That’s funny . . . I don’t remember the houseboat on Hogback. Must have been the beer.