Monday, April 24th, 2017

Concert in the park

My town is a musical town. One of its traditions is the Quincy Park Band, and one sure sign of summer is the appearance of the Park District’s mobile band shell next to the tennis courts in Madison Park. This past Sunday was a typical warm summer evening for an hour’s band music from 6:30 to 7:30.

Protective tree

The trees in the park may be nearing the end of their leafy lives, but this one was on duty providing shade for the audience in their lawn chairs.

Playing catch

Of course, there are other important things to do in the park besides listening to the oompahs, like playing catch with a friend.

An armfull

These kids are still a little young to be playing catch, but their mother is enjoying the music and hoping it rubs off on two young lives.

Checked cane

I found it a little hard to manage a camera and a cane, so I checked my cane at Tree #98, a venerable Sugarberry tree, receiving a slip of bark as a claim check. (Anyone care to guess how I know it is a Sugarberry tree?)

Dave, remembering his days playing in a city band.

Comments

6 Responses to “Concert in the park”
  1. Linda says:

What? You played in a city band? What other gems of info are you hiding from us? Where was this? I think we need to get you a saxaphone!

Well, I used to have a saxophone, but I played the E-flat Alto Clarinet one summer in the St. Louis (or was it St. Louis County) community concert band. That would have been in about 1947-1948.

Sugarberry tree?

3. Kyle says:

I bet Larry told you it was a sugarberry tree. Am I wrong?

You’re right. One morning we were talking about this and that and I asked him if there was a map of where the trees are and what they are. He came up with the a plot showing all 162 trees and their kinds (if that’s the right word). The big wind of a year ago probably has whittled the number down some, but you’ll notice in one of the pics a new tree has been planted. I’m sure there are more new trees planted than we have lost.

5. Leslie says:

This article and the photos provided a nice walk down memory lane for me during a quick lunch at MasterCard, from my smart phone. The fact that Quincy is arguably an Arts town is one of the many reasons it’s close to my heart. Kyle – good call on Larry being Dad’s source on the tree. I thought they were all oaks and maples.

Didn’t your High School class tour Madison Park and learn about all the trees?